Monday, January 21, 2013

46 - Do You Really Have to Ask?


Sheridan pushed in the door, letting her shopping bags hit the floor with a cacophony of rattling paper and plastic.  Her feet hurt.  Her nose was cold, her stomach was churning at the odd combination of pastries, cappuccino and pizza throughout the day, and she was freaking tired!

Madison had enough energy for both her mother and Sheridan, pulling them along and convincing them to take her ice skating at Rockefeller Center  until the tree lit up for the night at five o’clock.  Given that the girl was reasonably good on skates – thanks to three years of private lessons – the women at least got to sit on the sidelines and watch rather than having to strap those thin blades to the soles of their feet. 

Not that Sheridan could do it anyway.  She had no physical coordination whatsoever.  After the second time she cracked her tailbone trying to ice skate, she admitted she would never be able to do it, and stood aside to admire those who could.

Self-awareness did not make for warm toes, though, and she was eager for a hot shower and fuzzy socks.  Once she thawed out, she would break out the gift wrap and ribbon that she’d picked up at Macy’s.  It would be nice to finish up most of her wrapping tonight, since she had nothing else on her agenda.

Hanging her coat up, she was just reaching into the pocket for her phone when it started vibrating and singing out its generic ringtone.  She flipped it around to check the screen, and found that it was Jon calling.  She hadn’t gotten around to assigning him a special ring. 

With a wide smile, she pulled out a dining chair to sit in and answered cheerfully, “Hey!  I didn’t expect to hear from you.  What a pleasant surprise.”

His voice was the opposite end of the happy spectrum from cheerful.  Jon’s “Where are you?” was terse and abrupt.

“I…”  Sheridan was thrown for a little bit of a loop, and stuttered as a result.  “I just got home, why?”

“I’m coming over.  I’ll be there in about ten minutes.”

“Okay,” she said, perplexed.  But she was addressing her agreement to no one.  He’d hung up without waiting for a reply. 

Frowning, she put the phone on the table.  Ten minutes wasn’t enough time for a shower, she realized with a distracted frown, unable to fathom what could be prompting Jon’s behavior.  Had something else happened with his ex-wife?  Or his youngest boy?

She still had no idea when she padded down the stairs after changing into a soft black lounge outfit and matching fluffy socks.  The bags commanded attention, as they were strewn in front of the doorway, so she shuttled them into the closet while she waited for Jon.  It was a distraction from the worry that was starting to build inside her.

He should be here by now, shouldn’t he?

But he still wasn’t by the time all the bags had been transferred. 

So, after ferreting out the wrapping supplies and dumping them on the dining room table, she went to the kitchen drawer to locate the rest of the things she would need to package up her gifts.  Nervous energy had her aligning everything neatly on the table, from largest to smallest.  Tall paper rolls, then ribbon, gift tags, scissors, a black Sharpie and tape.  

That accomplished, she was busily checking the clock when the door buzzer sounded.

“Thank God,” she muttered, anxiously moving toward the door.  Sheridan was reassessing that sentiment when she saw that Jon’s face looked as somber and serious as his call had been.  The man who always carried a markedly youthful appearance was looking every day of his forty-nine years.  And then some.

It drove all sense of propriety and social convention from her head.  Instead of a proper, more traditional greeting, “What’s wrong?” was the first thing that came toppling out.

“Can I come in?”

Let the man inside, Sheridan.

“Of course,” she acquiesced, taking a hasty step backward so that he could brush by and shrug out of his jacket.  There was no warm greeting in his eyes.  No welcome kiss.  A chill of trepidation went up her spine as he used a dining room chair as a coat rack, and then strode a determined path to the sofa.

“We have a problem.”

Taking in his ramrod straight back sitting on the edge of the cushion, his hands draped in loose fists over his knees and the pronounced lines in his face, she couldn’t say that his proclamation surprised her.

“I kind of got that impression,” she said quietly, sitting next to him.  “What’s going on?”

He dipped his head, the wheels visibly spinning as he channeled that politically correct, public figure persona she’d seen only from afar.   When he found the words he was looking for, there was little doubt that his approach was carefully and purposefully chosen. 

“The media jackals are trying to sink their teeth into a story.”

Her first thought was of his children.  More specifically, the trouble he’d been having with Romeo.  What else could possibly be so grave? 

The impulse to comfort him came without conscious thought, and Sheridan scooted closer, placing a gentle hand over the waffled material of the black Henley covering his shoulders.

“What is it, sweetheart?”

He didn’t withdraw from her touch, but he didn’t soften under it and made no attempt to reciprocate.  Nor did he look at her.

“They found out about the fall Richie took in his kitchen on Thursday night.”

Sheridan’s hand fell away at the flatly issued statement.  That particular news surprised her.  It was unexpected on multiple levels.

“What? How?”

Now he turned to look at her, eyes piercing and hard as the set of his shoulders.  “That’s what I wanna know.”

She was so busy trying to come up with a possible scenario that she missed the undertone of accusation in his clipped statement.  How could this possibly have happened?  It wasn’t like there had been a crowd of people at Richie’s house that night. 

“But…  You and I were the only ones there,” she mused aloud.

“I’m aware of that.”  Her eyes snapped up.  That undertone was coming through loud and clear now.  “Did you talk to anyone about it? Maybe even mention it just casually to…  I don’t know…  your friend at the gossip rag?”

In an instant, she found out exactly how much power he had to hurt her.  That… insult was more painful than anything she could recall in recent memory.  The only thing that even came close was the morning he walked away without a backward glance.

Evidently, we haven’t moved as far beyond that moment as I wanted to believe.

Sheridan’s voice was purposefully soft – and maybe a bit incredulous – when she restated the question the way it was intended.  “You’re accusing me of leaking a celebrity’s highly sensitive, personal information to the media.”

“I’m not accusing,” he corrected mildly.  “I’m asking.  Richie told me he overheard you talking to your friend.  You had news she’d find interesting, or something like that.”

“But you – both of you – automatically assume that I have to be responsible.”  She’d gone emotionless now, by way of the cold block of ice forming in the center of her chest. 

“I didn’t automatically assume anything.  I told Dorothea about it yesterday, so she was the first one I called after I talked to Richie.”

Dorothea.  Of course the woman who had been a coveted part of the Bon Jovi underworld would be instantly declared blameless.

Sheridan laughed humorlessly, slumping back into the sofa cushions with a disbelieving shake of her head.  “I’m sure she was more than willing to pin it on your new girlfriend.”

His silence was all that was necessary to confirm that suspicion.

“So you think I did this?  You think I violated your confidentiality and threw a poison dart at not only your livelihood, but your friend’s?”

Jon shifted so that he could see her over his shoulder, disregarding her inquiry in favor of his own.  “I’d like for you to answer my question.  Why did you call that woman?”

“And I’d like for you to answer mine.”

“Sheridan, don’t be juvenile,” he huffed, turning around more fully to face her.  “Just tell me what the fucking phone call was about.  It shouldn’t be that hard if there’s nothing to hide.”

His face was creased with anger, frustration, exasperation…  all of those damnable negative emotions that could drain you dry.  And then there were his eyes.  They glittered with pain. 

Pain that I’ve done this to him, or that he has to ask me at all?

“Jon,” she began softly, bending her leg.  When her heel was planted in the cushion and her arms were wrapped protectively around her knee, she reminded him, “You were the one who left, and then came back asking me to trust you.  Asking to earn my trust.  Part of the reason I told you about Madison was to offer you the proof that you had it.  My full trust.  I’d just seen a facet of your life that was very private, and I wanted to show you that I trusted you as much as I thought you trusted me.”

“Is there a point to this?”

Her nostrils flared with a silent sigh and she lifted her eyes to lock into his.  “I didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Then tell me about the call, so I can let it go.”

Here it was.  They had circled the block and returned to the busy mid-town intersection of Sex and Relationship.  They’d been riding along Sex Street in the beginning, but she thought they’d made the turn onto Relationship Road when he came back and asked for her trust.  Somehow, though, they had found their way back onto the street that didn't require trust, only lust.  Now, with their turn signal blinking as they got closer and closer to Relationship Road again, she knew it was going to take mutual trust to turn that wheel.   Without it they had nothing but a series of hot, one-night stands.

The magic question was… did they have it? 

There was only one way to find out.

Sheridan tipped her chin, never breaking eye contact.  “I could, and I will if you need me to.  I’ll tell you everything if that’s what it takes to clear my name, but honestly…?  I’d like to think you trust me enough to take me at my word.  I didn’t do anything wrong.”  Cocking her head to the side, she asked softly.  “Now…  Is that enough?”








24 comments:

  1. The little fortune teller girl is really good. I hope the stepping it isn't as bad as it feels like it's going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still got the feeling that it's somehow related to Romeo overhearing too much...

    But Sheridan's making it hard for Jon to believe her. He asked, not just once, but FOUR times in the space of a minute or two for her to explain the phone call & she's still hesitating, questioning his need to know? I can't even say I'd let it go any easier & I'm far more trusting than Jon is. Sorry, but telling a gossip columnist you've got something to tell them when you're newly dating a rock star & then hiding what the phone call was about...is legitimate cause to worry about. If it's nothing bad, then tell him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I've understood everything correctly Bridget (the gossip girl from the chapter Mysterious friend) is Bridget Stowasser a former publisher who became her friend and could help her in her new career as an erotic fiction author (in the chapter Tit for Tat we've learn that she "had specialized in contemporary romance and erotic fiction at one of the big companies").

      Being called a traitor when you're innocent sucks, especially when the blame comes from someone you love (I agree with you, it'd be easier to tell him everything).

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I think you've got that right on her friendship with Bridgette...but she IS a gossip columnist now so it's very easy to take what Richie heard the wrong way...let's hope a matter of pride doesn't get in the way here.

      Delete
  3. YOU CAN'T STOP HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!
    seriously.... pleaseeeeeeeee....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Jon DOES have a right to wonder, they haven't been together long. However, Sheridan wants to believe he trusts her, and if he truly does, a simple "I didn't do it" should be enough. I have a feeling....just to keep us in suspense, he won't make her tell him. If he doesn't know what the phone call was about, WE don't know.... booooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nooooo. Why stop there? I hope we'll find out what that phonecall was really about...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have nothing to hide, answer the question bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOOOOOOO!!!!!....AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!...You seriously stopped THERE!!!!!...Ya know ya killin us dont you??....lol.... Im still Team Sheridan tho... shes innocent I recon...Maybe......maybe Richie rang a mag in his drunken state & told them......Nah...thats not it......C'mon..come back with the next chapter...Please!!!.......hehehehehe
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh please! Are all of your characters this 'holier-than-thou'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said Are all of your characters this 'holier-than-thou'? ;)

      Delete
  10. SHERIDAN IS TRYING TO HIDE WHAT SHES DOING FROM JON, SHES NOT GOING TO TELL HIM ABOUT THE PHONE CALL BECAUSE THEN SHELL KNOW HER SECRET IS OUT ABOUT THE BIOGRAPHY. TELL SHERIDAN ITS OVER JON AND WALK OUT{DONT LOSE YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR REPUTATION OVER HER SHES NOT WORTH IT}. JON CAN FIND SOMEONE ALOT BETTER THAN SHERIDAN. CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER TO FIND OUT IF JON LEAVES SHERIDAN{HOPE SO}.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I won´t make any assumptions - but I neeeeed to know....

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Holier-than-thou" ????????

    Really?

    Seriously?

    OH.PLEASE.

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I'm involved with a man, MY word better be enough! I completely see Sheridan's point of view! What woman wants to be with a man she has to prove her worthiness to? It's a legit question she's asking him: "Is it enough?" For me, if it wasn't enough, I'd show his gorgeous ass to the door once and for all! Could there be an ending in sight for their story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference is that Jon is just not a normal run of the mill going to a nine to five job. He is a celebrity and they live in different worlds. They can not be so trusty as the rest of us.

      They are not in a full term relationship, it's still beginning and unfortunately yes, they are still getting to trust each other 100%. So Jon is legit in asking his question and I for one, thinks she is being childish is not answering the damn question. Oh poor Sheridan someone didn't bow to her highness and she had to be questioned. That has never happened to her before, doesn't Jon know the a halo highs over her head.

      Delete
  14. Wow, it must be "take down Sheridan" day. I don't think she is doing one thing wrong. If they are in a relationship Jon needs to trust her. Sure he can ask her if she said anything to anyone, but when she says no, he has to believe her. He can kiss his BJ goodbye tonight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm team Sheridan more than ever and I absolutely agree with you. She can tell him everything about the call if she wants to but she doesn't have to, he should trust her and believe that she didn't betrayed him. He's got to apologize to Sheridan and Dorothea and find out who the real "traitor" is.

      Delete
    2. Stupid, stupid, stupid. That is what Jon will be if he falls for this bullshit. I think finally a woman has been able to play Jon. The sooner he breaks up with Sheridan, the better.

      Delete
    3. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I love Sheridan and I don't want them to break up. She's perfect for him. I just read again Perfect Storm, they're made for each other. Karma (and Carol) put them in the same hotel in Jamaica during a tropical storm. She's the one for him.

      A break up would mean the end of this story and it'd suck,even if we'd still got Lilah (I'm team Sheridan and team Lilah, they're so different but I love them both).

      Delete
  15. LGJ! Ladies you should be proud of yourselves. You've got the whole FF world in an uproar!

    --Amanda ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Amanda (my girl!)! All I can say is thank LGJ y'all aren't writing this story. Clearly Blush and Audra are the experts in THIS field! Great writing!

      Delete